I am going to go out on a limb here, and assume urine tastes like Fresca. Why would I ponder the refreshment factor of said substance? Well, thanks to a thought-provoking My Strange Addiction season finale, I have no choice but to reflect on several things; pee is described as “lemony”, people are willing to confess on national television just about anything, and I actually watch this shit.
Carrie is a 53 year-old woman who is drinking piss to battle cancer. I have never heard of urine being an alternative to medicinal therapy prior, but it can make you some money if you know some kinky business men in Vegas…not that I know. Her homeopathic approach is organic for sure and I know a hot toddy at her place is no bueno, I’ll have a lozenge, but thanks.
Well, now I’m curious and I consulted the all-knowing, definitive answer providing medium to my questions about urine; Google and Wikipedia.
Here are some urine facts that may be new to you:
1. Urine is highly concentrated with sodium. Meaning you can become dehydrated by drinking urine straight from tap. You need to dilute it with water. Otherwise, following consumption, you will have a raging thirst and demand more. More urine, more. MORE!!!!! If you need to replace elctrolytes try coconut water. In the event of catastrophe, you can drink your urine, it’s relatively safe to consume from a healthy person … as if you needed a reason right? High five!
2. Artificial sweeteners are excreted through the urine, and can make it taste sweeter. Adversely sugary urine that has a fruity smell is cause for concern as it can be indicative of diabetes. Make sure your loved ones are aware and seek professional testing, save a life ya’ll diabetes is serious.
3. Oral autotherapy is the term given to those who use urine for medical reasons as it is believed there is cancer cell antigens contained within. The term ’amaroli’ is used to describe the practice of drinking one’s morning urine. This is part of ancient meditative practices to restore plasma melatonin levels and enhance meditation. double-blind studies have yet to be conducted to conclude validity of claims…as that would be a really mean joke.
4. If you’re going to trip on ‘shrooms (dude…..bro) specifically, the Amanita muscaria you can avoid unpleasant side effects such as; nausea, vomiting, and increased sweat and saliva by drinking the pee of one who has ingested the hallucinogenic mushroom. The chemicals are not metabolized and remain just as potent when consumed via urine. Again, this could be a real practice made by the Koryak tribe of Siberia…or a really mean joke played on tourists.
5. The Shewee is a portable device that allows women to stand while voiding. What does this mean to me? I am woman, fear me men, the one major disparaging difference in our abilities has been removed. There are no hurdles, no dirty toilet seats, no stopping women as a gender. I refuse to squat.
I hope today proved to be insightful, I sure learned a lot.I included a whole shit load of links so I sound smart too. I hope you visit me again neighbor.
P.S. I wanted to share my Google searches that made this possible:
The health benefits of drinking my urine
Urine fun facts
How can I pee standing up?